Pages

Contact me:

Thursday, June 3, 2010

I Heart Technology


Last night I had another lovely conversation with my friend Em. We usually have 2-3+ chats during the week. The interesting part of our chats is that they are ALL text messages. Em even had to upgrade her phone plan to accommodate our "talks". It seems that our relationship was costing her an arm and a leg to keep up with. The last time Em and I had a real conversation, where we actually had to speak to one another (heaven forbid), was months ago.

Thinking about it even more, I really don't "talk" to any of my family or friends on a daily basis. The chats with hubs on the phone are usually short because one of us, if not both of us, are at work.

How are the kids?
Can you pick up some milk on your way home?
What's to eat?
How's your day going?

More often than not, I find out things and communicate through text messages, emails, Twitter, Facebook, and other types of non-human contact. Perfect example: here I am blogging.

On a side note, I'm very much a novice on some of the latest versions of communicating. Twitter especially. Pardon my etiquette, if you follow me.

The times I did have to speak to someone on the phone (usually some customer service person), the kids were screaming in the background, climbing all over me, asking me to help them with things, as I'm trying to wash dishes, do laundry, and cook.

I remember back in the day, I would spend hours and hours on the phone. I have no idea what I could possibly talk to someone about for that period of time. I also had A LOT more free time, since it was my pre-mama days. I also could only do 1-2 things at a time.

I just find it utterly impossible and unenjoyable to try and catch-up with someone when I'm already doing at least 10 different things at the same time. Also, everyone else is busy with their families, work and life. It's almost impossible to try and catch someone. It usually ends up with a frustrating game of phone tag competition and the emails/text messages begin.

The wonderful part of texting is that I can continue doing several things at the same time and the kids can do what they usually do without me stopping the conversation to tell them to be quiet, mama is trying to talk on the phone! Or every 2 seconds, I place my hand on the phone receiver, yell from across the room and shoot the kids an evil look. Of course, they ignore me, as that furrow/wrinkle between my eyebrows continues to deepen and deepen beyond any miracle creams claims. I've gotten quite skilled at typing on my phone and multi-tasking other things....another thing to add to my mama resume.

Do any of you remember Runs House? It was a show on MTV.

Well at the end of every episode, Run would be laying in his jacuzzi size tub that was filled with bubbles. He'd lay their contemplating his day as he types up an inspiring blog.

Well every night, mostly every night, you can catch me in my bed typing away on my i-phone. My only moment of alone time. I'm usually playing Word with Friends, catching up on my emails, blogs and FB, checking out You Tube how-tos from MakeupbytiffanyD, and/or exchanging texts.

If it wasn't for all other forms of communication, I would be sooooo out of the loop. It's introduced me to many interesting people and ideas from across the land. Although it has completely destroyed my "hold a conversation on the phone" skills, I love how it's opened up so many doors.

I Heart Technology!


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely <3 my iPhone, it is my bestest friend in the whole world, I often times find now that I am rarely on the internet even because of it!

    ReplyDelete