Pages

Contact me:

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Anniversary Dinner

Our Wedding.
Photos: Janis Foley Photography

I just celebrated my 7 year wedding anniversary. A date night with my husband is something I really look forward to. Because we've been going through some rough times this past year, this dinner was extra special. I wanted to share it with all of you.


Hopefully if I post it, it will be floating in the virtual universe forever. I can look back on it one day and remember it fondly.

Reservations were made at Oceanaire. A seafood restaurant whose claim to fame was due to Brian Malarkey. He was a contestant on Top Chef. Well Mr. Malarkey has left the restaurant but it wasn't going to stop me from eating there.

My husband and I have eaten there in the past and we've both enjoyed it. My old pre-mama days loved trying out new restaurants. Since the birth of the kids, I've become kind of a bore and have tried to stick to my list of faves.

For one thing, we don't go out for such things often. It's usually quite the task to try and find a date we are both off and able to find someone to watch the kids. After going through all that trouble and spending a good amount of change, I really, really don't want to be disappointed.

Upon being seated, the hostess gave us our menus. As I was trying to decide what to order, I noticed they were wishing us a "Happy Anniversary" at the top of the menu. A very nice touch.


We started the night with raw oysters. Hello, aphrodisiac! We usually go for a trio. Tonight's trio consisted of Fanny Bay, kusshi, and blackberry. The Fanny Bays are one of my favorites. Some of the oysters are already missing from picture. I couldn't resist.


Next came Oceanaire's famous crab cake. I could honestly have a couple of these with a starch and call it a day. It's probably one of the best crab cakes outside of Maryland. It's the real, deal crab cake. Just mouth watering, sweet, whole lump crab meat. Sprinkled with some good Old Bay...delicious!


No celebration would be complete without wine. We both enjoy a good Pino Noir. After letting it breathe for a bit, it was a smooth red wine with slight bite at the end.


We both ordered an entree of fish. One dish was sea bass topped with crab meat. Dish two was the Mako shark with blue cheese butter.


Since we were celebrating a special occasion, the restaurant served us their flaming baked Alaska.


To top it off, I received this bouquet of white roses. I have something against red roses. Red roses aren't my favorite.


The night was great. A fancy meal, quiet adult conversation and another wonderful year together.

Downtown San Diego. 7 years ago.

7 comments:

  1. Good idea writing about the "good times" so you'll remember them during the bad times...then putting it out there in the cyber universe. Guess I know what I'll be doing later today!
    I particularly loved your wedding pictures. I'm so nosy, this totally appeals to my inner spy! You looked stunning on your wedding day and your cake! Well, there's nothing to say, it's perfection!
    I found you through a comment you left on someone else's blog. I was drawn to your blog name. Glad I stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 7 year anniversary! I wish you glorious unlimited years of unconditional love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary!
    Beautiful wedding photos. I especially love the one where you are holding hands and it is of your shoulders down. Very arty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how beautiful!!! I love your cake! The food looks amazing too!
    Congrats on 7 years!
    (I need to stop using exclamation marks!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cake was amazazing! Happy anniversary, what a wonderful night of celebration! To many more years of blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so wonderful! What a decadent meal! I love your description of the meal and your wedding pictures! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete