Pages

Contact me:

Friday, June 4, 2010

Solo Mission with the Kids


It's was a beautiful Friday here in SoCal. The sun was out and, most importantly, Mama had a day off! On top of that, I was able to get a solid 6 hours of sleep the night before. Feeling energized, with the help of 2 cups of morning coffee, I decided that I'd take the kids out to Sea World. Solo! Some may refer to this as a suicide mission. Alone, at an amusement park, with a 3 year old and a 1 year old. What possessed me to be so adventurous?

Dada had to go to work and make some $$$ to support this SoCal lifestyle of ours.

The preparation began early. It's usually quite a circus act trying to get the diaper bags, cooler, the kids and myself all ready to go. I want to get there and enjoy the sites before the Sandman comes along and turns the kids into psychotic/beyond reason/please stop crying & quite this tantrum loonatics. The preparation alone can be quite exhausting. I paced myself since I knew the big mission was still upon us.

Chubs, the 1 year old, falls asleep in the car. Nice, I think to myself. Princess Ninja, the 3 year old, is excited and has the biggest grin on her face. It's enough to make me not turn the car around and head straight home.

Luckily, Sea World wasn't too crowded on this fine Friday afternoon. We were able to find a parking spot right away. After struggling with the stroller and balancing the diaper bag and a few supplies, I was ready to get the kids out of the car. Problem, where is that darn cooler that's full of sippy cups!? I could have sworn I packed it. Um, think again! I'd figure out something once the kids get thirsty.

Let the games begin!!!!

We headed straight to the Sesame Street Bay of Play. There's an Elmo ride that the kids love. It's very similar to the flying Dumbo ride at Disneyland. Here I am, holding Princess Ninja's hand and carrying Chubs on the opposite hip. We get to the front of the line and the lady proceeds to tell me that I can't take both kids on the ride. There seems to be a 1 child to 1 adult rule. No exceptions.

The little Princess was not taking this rule well. She began to throw a mini tantrum as I walked us over to the next ride.

Princess Ninja: I want to ride Elmo!
Mama: We can't. We have to have Dada with us. This next ride will be fun, I promise.
Princess Ninja: No, it won't!
Mama: Yes, it will, I promise. (angry voice starting to come out)
Princess Ninja: I want to ride Elmo!
Mama: Do you want to go home? (angry voice getting angrier. I'm carrying Chubs so I'm trying not yell in his ear)

Finally it's our turn to ride this spinning teacup type ride but with Sesame Street characters. We get to the front of the line and the guy stops us. (I know for a fact this is not a 1 adult to 1 kid ride). He wants to see Chubs walk! Apparently, this ride has a "you must walk, to ride this ride rule."

I put Chubs down. He stands there with his arms up, wanting me to carry him. Great, I thought, the one time we really need you to walk. I take a step back, hoping Chubs takes a step. You know if we don't get on this ride, Princess will have a MAJOR tantrum. One step. That's all I'm asking for.

Yay! Chubs walks towards me and the man in charge is satisfied. The line behind us starts to look less angry. Smiles all around. The kids enjoyed the ride.

The rest of the day was pretty much the same way. Minor bumps here and there. The angry Mama voice did come out a few times. I had to carry a child on each hip so they can both see the penguins. Eventually the kids got thirsty and I had to spend $12 on an ugly, scary dolphin souvenir cup that was full of sugar, make your kids hyper lemonade that I made them share. Princess refused to go to the bathroom and I prayed she wouldn't have an accident. That would have been the icing on the cake, wouldn't it? Right before we leave the park, I buy them a Shamu cookie...it's tradition.

As we strolled back to the car, the Sandman was really doing a number on Chubs. He was starting to get belligerent. I was able to strap everyone into their car seats and load the car with our millions of pounds of supplies, minus that darn cooler.

Princess Ninja and Chubs fall asleep on the way home! We all managed to survive the trip. The end!
Here's a picture of the $12 scary dolphin cup. They look possessed and are about to attack me. I think I'm going to get rid of this thing before the kids start asking for it.

Guess what I saw sitting on top of the counter? The darn cooler!!!!
Side note: used Laura Mercier oil-free tinted moisturizer and it held up nicely.






2 comments:

  1. You rock Mom! Never in 3 bajillion years would I have attempted that one on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the few days off you have....you try this number?? You truly are crazy and brave. :) chubs and princess are no match for you! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete